02/01/2009

New Year's Quiky - the second

The way the new year has started I can't wait to get it over with. Roll on 2010.
The one resolution I made was not to be anyone's doormat anymore. People who can only take but are not prepared to give - eff off. And I had only to wait 20 hours to put it to the test. Apologies again to all the quizzers who were caught in the fall out last night but that's what it's gonna be like this year.
I don't find the proper working conditions, I go home.
You are late, you lose your ciggie break (which, at least while it's minus effing freezing outside, won't be much of a loss).
You need to exchange news while I read out questions, I'll only repeat them once.
That's the new rules - implemented ruthlessly and without exception.

Now for the good news.
I've worked too hard on the New Year's Quiky to chuck it in the bin. So we'll try again on Thursday. Time to round up your old team (or assemble a new one) and read up on all things 2008. Dates, names, faces, trivia, gossip...

Another thing I want to try is breaking up the format a bit and create a new round. Arts and literature have not had many friends so the few things worth asking about books and paintings can be included in round two. Which might be called culture & sports. Former round 3 could then be changed to bullshit, gossip & games. Another option would be a "lottery" round - 10 questions on one topic, to be chosen / voted for from 3 sealed envelopes (e.g. everything about camels, or Karl May, or stamps, or fashion, or wine, or....)

And if I ever get the hang of the many media players I have on the laptop I would like to change the music round to create my own mixes or versions. But that'll take some learning new things I don't have the time for at the moment.

And then there's the plan to re-start the Champions League. Points collected over a certain period of time could get some extra prizes. Which, obviously, depends on the willingness of the Kilkenny managment to make them available. Which, as things stand at the moment, I consider rather unlikely. So we'll have to think up another solution. Suggestions, as always, are welcome.

So - that's some of the plans for 2009. Whether they will work, only time can tell. In the meantime we'll give it another go for the 2008 leftover Quiky on Thursday 8 January at 20:00...

And here is a wee sneak preview in pictures



No comments: